Sunday, February 21, 2010

Tactical Highlighter #20

It’s been an incredibly long week. Hope you’re all doing well and that this week is as awesome as possible.

  • The Resident Member by Paul Marlowe. This is a steampunk/paranormal adjacent story which reminds me a bit of a Sherlock Holmes story. Without the Sherlock Holmes. This one sat neglected on my fauxpod for awhile because I listened to it before Christmas and forgot about mentioning it. The acting and production are a wee bit thick, but it’s still an excellent story.
  • Another End of the Empire by Tim Pratt (PodCastle). Tim writes a lot of really phenomenal short fiction and I’m disappointed I didn’t get a chance to experience any of it until I started listening to fiction podcasts. This story is based on the Downfall of an Evil Overlord Brought About By a Prophesied Youth trope. But, of course, Tim twists it to make a story that tickles me just right.
  • Candy Art by James Patrick Kelly (Escape Pod). I recently linked to JPK’s Going Deep which was a bit of a pain to get to, but totally worth it. This one is way easier to get to and it’s a great story too. You should listen to Going Deep anyway, but definitely don’t miss out on Candy Art. The premise: What happens when everyone lives forever (AI immortality) so their kids can never afford to move out?

No comments: