Monday, October 19, 2009

Tactical Highlighter #4

If you're wondering what happened with the public transportation thing, I'm still working on it. Turns out the best way to get answers about Triangle Transit is to fan them on Facebook and ask on their page. They respond within 24 hours. I'm not stoked by that method of contact, but they were very responsive and I appreciate that. I bought a 30 day regional pass and should ride the bus for the first time ever at some point next week. I'm sure I'll have some stories to tell about that.

    Audio:
  • The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. I've been using LibriVox to read a lot of classic books, with mixed success. I'll save the boring details for another day, preferably when you've earned my ire. Everyone knows the story of Jekyll and Hyde in its most basic form, but it's worth a listen. Even though I knew the secret, I still found lots of surprises in it. In fact, I think the story is an allegory of substance abuse. Wikipedia disagrees with me, so I'm probably wrong. Many thanks to SFFaudio for making me aware of this audio.
  • LibriVox has put up History Of Egypt, Chaldea, Syria, Babylonia, and Assyria, Volumes 1 & 2. These were originally published in the early 1900s. While I have no way of knowing how much our theories about ancient Egypt might have changed since then, the books are proving fascinating. You just have to get past the first four chapters, and then it's amazing. The link to the second zip file is broken, so I've put it here for your convenience.
  • J.C. Hutchins has released a prequel to his 7th Son series in podcast form. J.C. writes incredible stories, and, unlike a lot of what I link, has a broad general appeal. Your Jack Bauer loving momma will love J.C.'s work as much as you will. And that'll be quite a lot in both cases.
  • PodCastle episode 73, Rapunzel by Tanith Lee. Fascinating new take on the classic fairy tale of Rapunzel.
  • Drabblecast's Trifecta IX contains three short stories. The first two, Dinosaur and Monster Talk, are my favorites. Both are quirky and fun. The Curse of the Android's wife is good too, just a little too serious for the mood I was in while I was listening. It's probably a good thing to avoid listening to Monster Talk and The Curse of the Android's Wife while around people who are young or easily offended.

No comments: