Sunday, December 20, 2009

Tactical Highlighter #13

This week has been kinda crappy. The culmination was getting stranded by the bus on Friday … in the snow. It blazed on past me, and ignored me running after it.

I didn’t do much actual writing. I finished plotting Terms of Service and started plotting DSOAW. Part of the reason I haven’t been writing is because I don’t want to start a long project before editing Edgar Kennicot but I don’t quite feel ready to edit it yet.

Anyway, on to the audio.

  • Pseudopod’s Napier’s Bones by Stephen Gaskell. I’m not a huge horror fan so it took me awhile to get around to trying any of Pseudopod’s work. As it so happens, their definition of horror is usually pretty far removed from the Saw and Hostel variety conception. This story is awesome. It has references to John Napier, inventor of logarithms. And, in a way, it’s about performance enhancing substances. Sort of. Haha.
  • LibriVox’s recording of Captain Stormfield’s Visit To Heaven by Mark Twain. This is a very amusing take on what heaven should be like. Well, if Mark Twain is telling it anyway. This is one of the things I really like about LibriVox. I probably wouldn’t have read this story on my own. The fact that someone was reading it to me meant I was more willing to experience something that I had never heard of. Sure, Mr. Twain is pretty famous and I might have gotten around to it eventually, but there are plenty of works that I definitely wouldn’t have heard of otherwise.
  • Variant Frequencies’ Naught But Ash by Ann Stringer. This story is very much like a Twilight Zone episode. But not the Twilight Zone episode you might think. In fact, it’s like someone found a missing episode. I came away with questions. It’s a nice puzzle.
  • StarShipSofa’s The Angst of God, I Kid You Not by Michael Bishop. This story is darkly humorous and puts forth a point of view I completely disagree with. It’s kind of like Pink Floyd’s Fletcher Memorial dipped in Kurt Vonnegut from a demented universe. The story starts at 17 minutes and 30 seconds.

No comments: